Business

Child, 6, dies and second in hospital after rare bacteria outbreak at primary school

A pupil has died and another has been sent to hospital after a rare bacteria spread in a primary school, while classmates and teachers have been given powerful antibiotics.

A child has died following an outbreak at Ashford Church of England Primary School

Read:Tax the rich more to help victims of energy crisis, says ECB

A child believed to be six years old died and another fell ill in hospital after a rare bacteria spread in an elementary school.

The two young men were pupils at Ashford Church of England Primary School in Ashford, Surrey.

Classmates and teachers were given powerful antibiotics by specialists from the UK Health Security Agency against the bacteria known as Strep A.

The bacteria — also known as group A streptococcus (iGAS) — usually causes a sore throat or rash and is transmitted through physical contact or through droplets from a sneeze or cough.

The child who died was in the first year, and the second pupil, believed to be from the same group, was taken to hospital with severe symptoms of the same illness but who was understood to have shown positive signs of recovery.

Read:Winner of Omaze Kent house on Kingsdown cliffs revealed






The UKHSA confirmed the death of one child and another child in hospital
(

picture:

google maps)

A spokesman for the UK’s Health Security Agency confirmed the death of one child and the hospitalization of another.

She said: “Specialists are arranging for pupils and staff at a Surrey school to be given antibiotics as a precautionary measure, following two cases of invasive group A streptococcal infection (iGAS).

“Unfortunately, one pupil from Ashford Church of England Primary School has died and another is in hospital, but is showing positive signs of recovery.”






Read:“Not Some BS Overseas in Saudi Arabia”


Support is provided to schoolchildren and teachers
(

picture:

Getty Images/iStockphoto)

Ruth Hutchinson, Director of Public Health, Surrey County Council, said: “We are deeply saddened by the death of a pupil at Ashford Church of England and offer our deepest condolences to their family, friends and the entire school community who are in our thoughts.

Our School Relations team, who are available 24/7, have provided guidance to the school during this tragic time, and our Public Health team is working closely with the UKHSA, school leaders and health partners to put in place appropriate health protection measures and ensure children, parents and carers at school are properly supported. Appropriate “.

Messages alerting the death have been sent to all parents at CoE and another nearby school, amid concerns that students might mix.







The letters were sent to the families of the disciples
(

picture:

google maps)

UKHSA South East Health Protection Adviser Dr Claire Winslade added: “We are very saddened to hear of the death of a pupil at Ashford Church of England School, and are thinking of their family, friends and the school community.

“As a precaution we have recommended antibiotics for pupils and staff in the same year cohorts as affected individuals. We have advised the school to help prevent further cases and will continue to monitor the situation.

“Information has been shared with parents about the signs and symptoms of iGAS, which include high fever with severe muscle aches, pain in one area of ​​the body and unexplained vomiting or diarrhoea. Anyone experiencing these symptoms should contact NHS111 immediately.”

“Infections with group A Streptococcus bacteria usually cause a sore throat or rash and are transmitted through physical contact or through droplets from sneezing or coughing. In very rare cases, the infection can become invasive and enter parts of the body where there are no bacteria normally present, Which could be dangerous.”

Read more

Read more

Read more

Read more

Read more

Previous post
Black Friday Nintendo Switch live blog: Top deals on consoles, games and more
Next post
Net migration at record levels as 1.1 million arrive in Britain | News