The 17-year-old responsible for the massive GTA 6 leak has reportedly pleaded not guilty to computer misuse charges.
Eurogamer reported that while the teen pleaded not guilty to the computer misuse charges, the individual actually pleaded guilty to breaching bail conditions. The teenager is now held in a youth detention center.
GTA 6 suspected hacker pleads not guilty to computer misuse charges
“The 17-year-old who appeared in Highbury Corner Youth Court on September 24 has pleaded guilty to breach of bail terms and not guilty of computer misuse,” City of London Inspector Michael O’Sullivan told Eurogamer. “The young man has been imprisoned in a youth detention center,” he added.Read:End nears for ‘flight mode’ as EU will force airlines to have 5G
According to Bloomberg Law, Attorney General Valerie Benjamin said in court that the teen used a mobile phone that “didn’t have permission” to hack companies and was “holding them for ransom” to access the software. The case has since been referred to a higher court.
Earlier this month, more than 90 videos of early gameplay of GTA 6 were leaked and uploaded online. Soon after, Rockstar Games released a statement confirming that it had indeed been hacked by a third party that had “unlawfully accessed and downloaded confidential information from our systems, including early development footage for the next Grand Theft Auto game.”
Soon after, a 17-year-old was arrested, and former Reuters journalist Matthew Keys claimed that the arrest was indeed linked to the Rockstar Games hack, although this has not yet been officially confirmed by the police.Read:Discover the benefits of accepting card payments on your phone